Servings 4 Servings
- 2 quarts unsweetened pineapple juice
- 4 ripe pears peeled
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 vanilla bean cut in half lengthwise, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Put the pineapple juice, pears, orange zest and juice, and vanilla bean in a medium pot.
- Cut a circular piece of parchment paper that matches the diameter of the pot.
- Put the parchment circle on top of the pears (this will keep them in contact with the liquid so they cook evenly) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low, keeping the liquid at a gentle simmer, and cook until you can insert a paring knife in and out of the pears without any resistance.
- Remove the pears from the liquid and set them aside.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pot and discard the pod.
- Put 1 cup of the liquid into a small sauté pan and cook over medium heat until it thickens into a syrup, about 5 minutes. Drizzle the syrup over the pears.
- Serve immediately.
Per serving: calories: 360, protein: 3 g, carbohydrates: 93 g, fat: 0 g, calcium: 98 mg, sodium: 33 mg, dietary fiber 11 g