Servings 6 Servings
- 6 corn tortillas
- Kernels sliced from 2 ears fresh corn or 2 cups thawed frozen or drained canned corn
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 shallots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 12 cups vegetable broth (look for Mushroom-Free broth if needed)
- 10 fresh epazote leaves sliced into strips (optional)
- 2 ripe avocados sliced, for garnish
- 10 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime sliced into 6 wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the tortillas into small strips. Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Put the corn, celery, carrot, shallots, and garlic in a large dry pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the oregano, granulated garlic, and granulated onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Put the tomatoes in a blender and process on high speed until smooth. Add the tomatoes and potatoes to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the optional epazote and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the avocado, cilantro sprigs, and lime. Top with the tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
Per serving: calories: 269, protein: 6.7 g, carbohydrates: 47.2 g, fat: 8.3 g, calcium: 99.5 mg, sodium: 147.9 mg, omega-3: 0.1 g Note: This recipe results in a broth-like soup. For a thick and creamy soup, put the soup and the baked tortilla strips in a blender and process on high speed until smooth. Serve immediately, garnished with the avocado, cilantro sprigs, and lime.