Servings 4 Servings
- 1½ cups forbidden black rice
- 6 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 young coconut or 1 (8-ounce) can or bottle coconut water with pulp
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut toasted
- Put the rice, apple juice, and ginger in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Decrease the heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour.
- While the rice is cooking, open the young coconut using a sharp knife with a heavy blade and coconut pour the water into a large bowl.
- Scoop out the coconut pulp with a spoon. Cut it into strips and add it to the coconut water.
- Add the cooked rice, coconut milk, and coconut and stir until well combined.
- Let cool for 1 hour at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before serving.
Per serving: calories: 356, protein: 3 g, carbohydrates: 63 g, fat: 11 g, calcium: 26 mg, sodium: 19 mg, dietary fiber 4 g Chef’s Tip: When all the ingredients are first combined, the mixture will seem too soupy. Don’t worry! The pudding will thicken to the right consistency after it’s been thoroughly chilled for at least 8 hours.