Servings 6 Servings
- 4 celery roots (each about 1 pound), peeled, rinsed, and cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 fuyu persimmons sliced into half-moons (peeling is optional)
- 1 large pomegranate seeds removed
- 30 fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup pecans toasted
- Put the celery roots in a large bowl. Stir in the orange juice to prevent browning. Add the persimmons, pomegranate seeds, and mint and toss until well combined. To serve immediately, spoon into salad bowls and sprinkle with the pecans. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Celery Root Slaw, without the pecans, will keep for 2 days. Sprinkle with the pecans just before serving.
Per serving: calories: 332.7, protein: 5.9 g, carbohydrates: 54.5 g, fat: 13.3 g, calcium: 100.1 mg, sodium: 159.5 mg, omega-3: 0.2 g Note: I suggest wearing an old apron when working with pomegranates, because the juice can get all over your clothes. Be sure to avoid using any of the bitter white membrane. Summer Celery Root Slaw: Replace the persimmons with peaches, the pomegranate with grapes, and the pecans with pistachios.